ACT Sustainable Communties Awards NOW OPEN
The Keep Australia Beautiful ACT Sustainable Communities Awards are now open. These annual awards recognise the efforts made by individuals, community-based organisations, businesses and local government agencies in achieving sustainability in the ACT.
The overall territory winner will be announced on September 8 at an awards event to be held at the Margaret Whitlam Pavilion at the National Arboretum. The winner will then go on to represent the ACT in the Australian Sustainable Communities Awards later this year.
Chief Executive Officer of Keep Australia Beautiful, Philip Robinson has urged all ACT sustainability programs to enter, saying “the awards recognise and celebrate everyday actions taken by Canberra’s communities to improve, maintain and sustain their local environments.”
“Feeding into the national program will allow the winner to learn even more from leading projects in other states,” Mr. Robinson said.
The ACT Sustainable Communities awards have expanded over the years to encompass activity in categories as diverse as waste reduction and recovery, water conservation, community action, environmental education, and heritage preservation.
This year, the Individual ACTion Award will be introduced. The ACTion Award recognises significant contribution by an individual to improve natural and social environments.
A Young Legends category recognises achievement across the awards categories by a person or group of people under the age of 25.
Previous successful winners:
- Canberra Ornithological Group won Environmental Sustainability as well as the overall award for 2015, then went on to win Environmental Education in the Australian Sustainable Cities Awards.
- 2014 winner Mitchell Pearce of Canberra Urban Honey went on to win the Young Legends award at the Australian Sustainable Cities Awards.
- 2013 saw the Canberra Indian Myna Action Group take home the overall title, then Environmental Innovation and Protection nationally.
- The 2012 winner, Merici College’s Kitchen Garden Program achieved a lot of attention and were also commended for Initiatives in Youth Engagement at the national awards.
The Keep Australia Beautiful ACT Sustainable Cities Awards are an initiative of Keep Australia Beautiful National Association, sponsored by the Australian Packaging Covenant and the department of the Environment and Sustainable Development of the ACT.
Keep Australia Beautiful invites nominations from any community member who knows of someone making the ACT great.
Entries can be made online from 1 June 2016 by visiting www.kab.org.au/act
Media Comment: Philip Robinson, CEO
0413 354 680 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Media Contact: Alice Morgan, Communications Manager
0416 768 387 | email@example.com
- Community Action and Wellbeing
- Dame Phyllis Frost Litter Prevention Award, Waste Management & Resource Recovery
- Environmental Sustainability
- Heritage and Culture
- Young Legends
- Environmental Education
- Individual ACTion Award (ACT only)
About Keep Australia Beautiful
Keep Australia Beautiful is a national organisation that is recognised as Australia’s independent litter prevention thought and practice leader, for a litter free and sustainable Australia. It consists of an independent federation network in each state and territory.
With more than 45 years of experience in engaging Australians to care for their local environments, (not to be confused with Clean Up Australia) KAB programs include Tidy Towns, Clean Beaches, Sustainable Cities, National Litter Index, Beverage Container Recycling Grants, Eco-Schools, Adopt a Patch, and Keep Australia Beautiful Week in August.
The network of Keep Australia Beautiful National Association includes Keep Australia Beautiful ACT; Keep NSW Beautiful; Keep Victoria Beautiful; Keep Queensland Beautiful; Keep Australia Beautiful WA; KESAB environmental solutions in SA; Keep Australia Beautiful TAS and Keep Australia Beautiful NT.