Clean Beaches Program Background
What is Clean Beaches?
- Clean Beaches is about cooperation, community involvement and connectedness to a local beach environment.
- It provides an incentive for existing environmental and/or community groups to work together to achieve a common vision for a better beach environment, and a community that works with its local beach to maintain and improve quality of life.
- Clean Beaches is a program that brings communities together to undertake practical actions to enhance and conserve their built and natural environment, especially as it relates to a local beach.
- A program that ensures communities do the best with what they’ve got to ensure a sustainable future.
What makes a winning Clean Beach?
A framework to encourage and/or extend beautification, education, environmental, cultural, etc programs that maintains the beach while improving community access and connectedness to environment.
- Clean Beaches offers the framework to encourage or extend various improvements, beautification, education, environmental and cultural programs that may already be in progress.
- A comprehensive approach to a better environment and a stronger community.
- Enables Keep Australia Beautiful to encourage and recognise towns, schools, organisations and individuals involved in long term projects that benefit the beach and the people that use it.
- A Clean Beach is one that benefits from a community that works together towards a common goal of improving its appearance and environmental quality.
- Strong community involvement is the key to success.
- Broad community sector involvement provides strong ownership of beach protection.
- Through participation, community members gain greater awareness of local and general environmental issues.
Benefit to communities
Benefits to communities in becoming involved in the program include a social, environmental and economic focus – all about sustainability.
- Increased community pride and raised self esteem
- Increased interaction between broad range of community groups
- Encourages an inter-generational approach between varying age groups within a community.
- Social cooperation
- Encourages communities to value their local environment, and benefit from a clean and healthy beach environment
- Enables a community to become more aware of their local environment
- Encourages innovative approaches to environmental challenges
- Litter prevention and encourages community ‘ownership’ of problem through clean ups, etc
- Better waste minimisation and management
- Community awareness and educational benefits
- Improved facilities, features and town presentation
- Improved health standards
- Opportunities for tourism promotion and related ‘flow on’ benefits.
A Clean Beach Plan
An effectively planned community-driven Clean Beach program includes:
- A developed vision of what a community wants for a sustainable future and how it relates to the beach, ideally linked to Shire/Council’s local environment plan, if available. A useful resource for planning future directions.
- Budget factor.
- Action Plan – what/when/where/ how to get the job done.
- Equipment/resources – who/what to use to get the job done.
- Promotion – how to expose our program.
- Evaluation – where have we been?
- Future strategies – where do we go from here?