WA’s littering habits revealed
MEDIA RELEASE: Monday 19 August 2013
CONTACT: Mel Hay, KABC WA Chairman
PHONE: 0429 106 273
Keep Australia Beautiful Week kicks off today with a new public awareness campaign and the release of the release of National Litter Index (NLI), showing a national drop in litter by both item (3.4%) and volume (1.8%) over the past year.
Despite the positive national results, there is still more work to be done says Keep Australia Beautiful, with many states, including Western Australia, still lagging behind Victoria which bolstered the national figures with an above-average 17% reduction by item and 13% reduction by volume over the past year.
WA again recorded the most litter by volume, 71% above the national average, with the small volume increases primarily due to beaches, highways and residential and influenced by ‘other’ plastics.
However, a massive volume reduction in industrial sites was recorded, as well as a positive decline in illegal dumping which can be attributed to their zero tolerance policy and tougher new penalties.
According to Keep Australia Beautiful Council WA Chairman, Mel Hay, “Clearly the anti-litter message is still not getting through to some people.
“So today, Keep Australia Beautiful is launching a new national campaign to keep reminding people that littering is in no way acceptable and is in fact just plain wrong.”
Specifically targeting young tech-savvy adults, the Littering Is Wrong Too initiative calls on people to get online to ‘Write your Wrong’.
Taking a light-hearted approach to get attention and be talked about, the new campaign
inextricably links littering with wrongdoing, whilst giving participants the chance to win $500 a week for five weeks.
To enter your ‘wrong’ visit www.litteringiswrongtoo.org.au
MEDIA PHOTO/VISION PHOTO OPPORTUNITY
WHAT: Littering Is Wrong Too Street Team competition activation
WHEN: Monday 19th August @ 4:20PM – 5:00pm
WHERE: Hungry Jack’s Belmont, 208 Great Eastern Hwy, Ascot 6104
WHY: Launch of Keep Australia Beautiful Week
CONTACT: Maureen Maher on 0429 378 379
For media interviews contact:
• Mel Hay, KABC WA Chairman on 0429 106 273
• Lara Shannon, KAB Week Campaign Manager on 0415 076015 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Keep Australia Beautiful (KAB) is Australia’s leading grassroots environment organisation, with more than 45 years’ experience in changing behaviours and attitudes concerning litter and recycling.
• Since 2005/2006, KAB has implemented a bi-annual litter count to provide reliable base line data on litter across Australia. NLI counts are conducted in November and May each year, and now cover 983 sites.
• Since the start of the NLI 8 years ago, an overall 20% reduction in items and 31% reduction by volume have been achieved. Victoria leads the way with a 17% reduction by item and 13% reduction by volume in the past year.
For a media summary or to download the full NLI report:
1) How to enter the Littering Is Wrong Too competition
Go to LitteringIsWrongToo.org.au to enter your funny, tacky, silly or just plain wrong, wrong. i.e.: Texting during surgery; Finding your grandparents ‘LOVE’ tape; Networking at Funerals etc.
Then scroll down and ‘LIKE’ the Keep Australia Beautiful National Facebook page.
Also hit the share button to log on and share it on your Facebook page.
The most original, quirkiest, humorous ‘wrong’ selected each week over five weeks will receive the $500 prize. The competition closes Sunday 15th September 2013.
2) How to promote further on social media
• ‘LIKE’ the “Keep Australia Beautiful National” Facebook if you haven’t already via the
competition site. (KAB)
• Take a photo holding up a sign with your ‘wrong’.
• Post the photo to the KAB Page and share it on their Facebook page and also add to Twitter or Instagram. Ideally make it your profile photo wc 19th August.
• Twitter tags @KABNAHQ #litteringiswrongtoo
• Instagram: Littering Is Wrong Too #litteringiswrongtoo #keepaustraliabeautiful