Australian Sustainable Communities – National Judge
Work Type/s: Volunteer
Location: National (travel involved)
Applications close: Midnight 21 August 2016
Keep Australia Beautiful National Association is a federated not for profit, environmental organisation with 48 years of history.
Since it was established, Keep Australia Beautiful has developed many projects and activities including community awareness campaigns and the popular Tidy Towns Sustainable Communities which have all evolved along with the organisation.
The purpose of Keep Australia Beautiful is to achieve a litter free and sustainable Australia.
Keep Australia Beautiful seeks a suitably qualified and experienced individual with a passion for environmental sustainability as a volunteer national judge for the 2016 Australian Sustainable Communities awards.
The Keep Australia Beautiful Australian Sustainable Communities Awards is a national awards recognition program celebrating outstanding achievements in litter prevention, environmental sustainability and community development from leading urban councils and community groups across the country.
- Dame Phyllis Frost Litter Prevention, Waste Management and Resource Recovery
- Environmental Sustainability
- Environmental Education
- Community Action and Wellbeing
- Heritage and Culture
- Young Legends
The national judge will visit up to eight Sustainable Communities finalists across Australia. It is expected that the judge will spend one working day with each of the state/territory finalists and grade their achievements in pre-determined criteria. Submission of a confidential scorecard and judging report will be required in a timely manner post each site visit.
Finalist visits will be conducted during business hours throughout September 2016. The visits may be completed in a block or dispersed throughout the month as negotiated between the judge and KAB. Assistance with arranging travel itinerary is available.
The judge will be required to attend and present at the 2016 Australian Sustainable Communities Awards Ceremony, in Frankston, VIC on November 17.
This is a voluntary position however all reasonable travel and out of pocket expenses will be remunerated within agreed limits.
In most instances the National Judge will be the sole representative of KAB on site visits and as such should accord to an agreed code of conduct.
The judge will work closely with KAB’s Program Coordinator and Communications Manager with ultimate reporting to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Qualifications and/or experience in environmental sustainability, waste management, community development or other relevant field
- A demonstrated passion for the environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Developed stakeholder engagement skills
- Effective time management skills
- Recent experience and proficiency with Microsoft Office. Social media skills including preparing blog content viewed favourably
- The ability to work autonomously
- Availability for travel in September essential.
How to Apply
Interested parties should submit an expression of interest consisting of:
- A cover letter of no more than two pages outlining why you are interested in being a national awards judge and any experience and/or knowledge you feel will benefit the role
- A resume detailing your qualifications and experience with a minimum of two referees.
Applicants are expected to declare any potential conflict of interest.
Expression of Interest should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight 21 August. For more information please phone 02 9687 9396 or visit kab.org.au.
Work Type/s: Volunteer
Applications close: Currently CLOSED
Key components of the role may include working with the National KAB team to:
- Update database (Maximizer) and Data entry
- Proof reading
- Help develop marketing and communications campaigns, promotions and launches
- Event planning and support
- Media monitoring
- Social media
- Update the website
- Correspondence with Beverage Grants recipients
The volunteer reports to the Programs Manager.
Key Selection Criteria
- Well developed communication skills, including the capacity to communicate accurately, clearly and succinctly, both verbally and in writing.
- Organisational skills.
- Decision making skills, demonstrated capacity to understand and solve problems by drawing in relevant information from a range of sources and exercise initiative and judgement in developing solutions and recommendations.
- High level interpersonal skills, the capacity to liaise effectively with both internal and external clients.
- Demonstrated experience in computer proficiency and an excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office.
The location for the position will be at the office of Keep Australia Beautiful in Parramatta, NSW.
Role Structure and How to Apply
This role will be offered to successful applicant/s on an ad hoc basis when their time is required. Travel and meals will be reimbursed.
To apply, please email a cover letter briefly addressing the selection criteria and your resume to email@example.com.